Websites Selected by Librarians
BIRTH AND DEATH RECORDS for Nebraska were not consistently kept prior to 1904 at either the state or county level.
The Historical Society does not have official records of births and deaths on file, with the exception of an OMAHA BIRTH REGISTRY, 1869-1907; an OMAHA DEATH REGISTRY, 1873-1915; and a few vital records for early eastern Nebraska, which can be found in THE NEBRASKA AND MIDWEST GENEALOGICAL RECORD. Some earlier birth and death records exist for Lincoln and Omaha and have been filed with the Bureau of Vital Statistics. For available records of births and deaths after 1904, contact the Nebraska Health and Human Services, Bureau of Vital Statistics, 1033 "O" Street, Suite 130, Lincoln, Nebraska 68508, 402-471-2871 to obtain prices and procedures.
- Certificates and Reports - Nebraska Health and Human Services, Bureau of Vital Statistics Information and forms for mail or online ordering of Birth, Death, Marriage and Divorce Certificates from the Nebraska Bureau of Vital Statistics.
- County Courthouses addresses from the Nebraska State Historical Society.
- County Courthouses from Genealogy.com
- Free Public Records Directory This site provides links to criminal records, civil court records, marriage records, divorce records, real and personal property records, recorded documents, jail and inmate records, sex offender records, wanted persons records, and many more free public records.
- Nebraska Cemeteries and Related Information
- Vital Records Information Where to get vital records from each state, county and territory in the U.S. Includes address, phone, fees and other information for state vital records offices. Less detailed information for county records offices. Includes genealogy links by state.