Virus & Security Information
Websites Selected by Librarians
- AVG Antivirus Products Grisoft provides both free and commercial anti-virus products.
- CA Global Security Advisor
- CERT Software Engineering Institute
- HOAXBUSTERS How to recognize hoaxes, what to do about them, and some of the history of hoaxes on the Internet
- McAfee/Network Global Threat Intelligence Technology
- Microsoft Security and Security Center Provides security/virus information and software patches specific to Microsoft products.
- Microsoft Security Newsletter a monthly newsletter for home users bringing security news, guidance, updates, and community resources
- NetSmartz Workshop Parenting wired kids can be difficult, especially if you didn't grow up with the same technologies. These resources can help.
- SecLists.Org Security Mailing List Archive Includes links to a large group of security-related mailing lists, including: Nmap Hackers, Nmap Development, Bugtraq, Full Disclosure, Security Basics, Penetration Testing, Info Security News, Firewall Wizards, Incidents, Vulnerability Development, IDS Focus, Web App Security, Daily Dave, Security Jobs, Honeypots, VulnWatch, MS Sec Notification, CERT, and others.
- Secunia Software Inspector Performs a computer scan, reports any installed software that contains security vulnerabilities, and provides links to patches and updates to remedy vulnerabilities.
- Security Focus
- Sophos Virus Information
- Symantec Antivirus Research Center Provides a wide range of resources, including alerts, an encyclopedia, utilities, signature updates, and a reference area
- Symantec/Norton Hoax Information
- Symantec/Norton Threat Explorer
- Trend Micro Hoaxes, Myths, Urban Legends
- Virustotal Virustotal is a service that analyzes suspicious files and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware detected by antivirus engines
- WebJunction gives public librarians a broad range of resources, including a forum for sharing information on policies and practices (e.g., Internet access for minors), technical resources, advice for purchasing hardware and software, and community message/discussion boards that cover both day-to-day support issues as well as broader management topics